Monday, May 08, 2006

2006 Boys' Haven Crawfish Festival

On Sunday, I attended the 2006 Boys' Haven Crawfish Festival in Beaumont, Texas. It's an annual event that aims to raise money for Boys' Haven, a non-profit, non-sectarian organization that provides help for boys age 8-18, who are faced with difficult times.

Mark covered the event for The Beaumont Enterprise. So, I decided to cover the festival for my blog.



© Fayrouz Hancock

The festival featured boiled crawfish to go. The volunteers and staff were happy to carry the order to the customer's car. I thought this was really cool.




© Fayrouz Hancock

I got to watch the process of cooking these small monsters. The still-alive crawfish are brought in produce bags [like big orange bags]. They're dropped into the boiler after adding special seasonings to the boiling water. When they're fully boiled, they're dropped on a metal surface where they're seasoned again.




© Fayrouz Hancock

The next step moves the boiled crawfish to another surface where they're packaged with boiled potatoes and corn for sale to customers. Volunteers must be careful because the crawfish are very hot at this stage. Notice how the worker is wearing thick rubber gloves to handle the boiled crawfish.




© Fayrouz Hancock

Hot steam rises from boiled crawfish. The photo better explains what I wrote above.



© Fayrouz Hancock

The festival caters to all tastes. If you don't like boiled crawfish, then you can try other delicious food. I tried Mr. T's famous Pork-A-Bob's. They're the best. His food stand also serves chicken kebob. There's something for everyone.




© Fayrouz Hancock

Other stands sold different interesting items. This stand sold pink cowboy hats among other cute stuff.




© Fayrouz Hancock

My brother-in-law loves classic cars. I took this picture especially for him. I think the cars were for display only.




© Fayrouz Hancock

While testing the settings for my camera, a lovely lady approached me and asked me, "Is your name is Fay?" I was bit surprised that someone knew me. I was happy to realize the nice lady was fellow blogger Laurie from Beaumont. She and her friend were enjoying the music at the festival. How could I miss such a coincidence without photographing her for my blog?




© Fayrouz Hancock

These nice guitars were sitting next to the stage while different bands played at the festival.

Labels: , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home