Friday, March 03, 2006

Rita Captured, The Book

Before we moved to Beaumont, we asked Mark's colleagues about hurricanes in Southeast Texas. They all gave us the same answer, "Don't worry. It never hits us directly." Oh well, it became a historical fact when we were hit directly by Hurricane Rita. It couldn't choose a better day than my birthday to make a landfall.

The good thing is my life's resume now includes living through hurricanes in addition to wars (in Iraq), bushfires (in Sydney) and tornados (in Dallas).

Riding out the hurricane meant I had to deal with the aftermath of such a force of nature. I spend my days at The Beaumont Enterprise where I got to understand how newspapers work under abnormal conditions.

Other media didn't pay much attention to the destruction in Southeast Texas. So, the photographers at The Beaumont Enterprise took it upon themselves to report and document the untold story. The photographs were published initially online, then in the newspaper and later in the book Rita Captured.


© Fayrouz Hancock


Going through the book evoked all kinds of emotions from me. Maybe because I was here, spent the time of difficulty with the photographers and witnessed their determination to document the story. It's definitely all those things in addition to their excellent photographs.

Last month, I attended the first book signing. I played photographer and made some pictures. Considering the real photographers were the honory guests at the event, my photographs got published on the newspaper's Web site. That's really cool.

This year's hurricane season is expected to be similar to last year's. Hopefully, we survive it again.




Rita Captured, Limited Edition

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home